A leading voice on health and wellness issues throughout her career, Chris has fought to expand access and improve the quality of care for all New Yorkers.
As Chair of the Council’s Health Committee, she banned smoking in bars and restaurants, helped lower the City’s infant mortality rate, and created a free discount prescription drug card program.
As Speaker, Chris:
- Passed legislation banning smoking in public parks and beaches as well as the sale of flavored tobacco products that target children.
- Provided nearly $3 million to expand primary care services at clinics around the City.
- Passed the Clinic Access Bill, making it illegal to obstruct New Yorkers access to reproductive health clinics.
- Passed Manny’s Law, requiring hospitals to develop a financial aid program for uninsured and underinsured patients.
- Arranged a public private partnership to provide free HIV rapid testing for thousands of patients at public hospitals.
- Increased the number of Greenmarkets accepting food stamps in New York City from 1 to 43.
- Helped enroll more New Yorkers in food stamps by identifying people who likely qualified based on Medicaid status.
- Used tax and zoning incentives to open and preserve ten supermarkets in neighborhoods with limited access to healthy food.
- Brought 500 new fruit and vegetable carts to neighborhoods with limited access to healthy food.
- Launched the Healthy Bodegas Initiative, bringing healthier food options to more than 1,000 corner markets.